Headshot tipsTopher’s tips for not looking like an idiot in your head shots.
1. Keep it simple.When choosing your clothing, avoid patterns and shirts with logos. Go with solid colors. Avoid white, black, and very light pastels. Simple clothing helps the casting director focus on you.
2. I want pictures of your personality.It’s hard to get shots like that, decide now what kind of pictures you want taken. Who are you? What job do you want? There are a hundred people who look similar to you, so try to think of ways to stand out.
3. What role are you going for?Eighteen to play younger? Dad? Country folk? Decide on something that reflects on what you’re going for. Don’t wear a police officer or construction worker costume, but wear something that can reflect many looks within your specific genre. Ex: If you’re looking to to play younger roles, wear a hoodie that matches the color of your eyes.
4. Don’t dress like a stripper.Ladies, dress modestly, and men keep your shirt on. Do you know how many guys that I’ve called in for an audition that weren’t wearing a shirt? One. And that was only because he was a twin and I was desperate.
5. Look like your headshot.As someone who has scanned hundreds of headshots to find just the right person for a role, there is nothing more infuriating than to invite someone to an audition and the person in the headshot looks nothing like the person in front of me. So, don’t slather on the make-up. Try to look as natural as possible.